Sunday 13 March 2011

Week 2 - Andrea Chicco

TPACK FRAMEWORK
As one of the readings for the course, there is an article “What Is Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge?” Written by Matthew J. Koehler and Punya Mishra. It explains the definition of TPACK as three components. These are content, technology and pedagogy. The article explains that the TPACK “framework builds on Lee Shulman’s construct of pedagogical content knowledge (PCK) to include technology knowledge” (Koehler and Mishra, 2009). I commenced reading this article and found the concept difficult to absorb, however after analysing Figure 1 (below), the graph assisted my understanding on how each framework is set out. Additionally, this article enhanced my knowledge as the writers explained each title displayed in the graph in detail.


GOOGLE PROGRAMS, BLOGGER & TWITTER

In week 2’s workshop, we continued on creating each of the above programs. I must say how mind boggling it was for me as we only had a quick flick through each programs features. As I did not have the time to explore and ask as many questions as I would have liked to about these new technologies during the workshop, it did not sink in as much as I would have liked it too. We were jumping from Google Reader to Google Groups, then from the Google programs to Twitter, then back to the Google programs to blogger. I felt as though I had kept up with the class, however, when sitting down opening these programs the following day, I realised it did not mentally stick like I hoped it had. I thought I should open all these programs all at once and begin to explore their features and try to work out what I had to do in each. The first problem I encountered was how would my blog on http://www.blogger.com/ be available for my peers and Lecturer to view as I did not have any followers or connections on that website. I decided to utilise the Google Groups website to ask for assistance via a discussion post. As Google Groups is not an 'IM' (instant message) website, I did not expect to receive an instant response after posting my question. I logged into Griffith emails and utilised the 'IM' feature to converse with a online friend who is also enrolled into ICT & Pedagogy. After explaining my issue, Jessica diagnosed my problem by addressing the fact that I did not post my “blog ID” address on Google Reader like everyone else had. Once I had subscribed myself, I encountered my second dilemma, I posted my blog without proof reading it. I remembered in the workshop, Dr. Zagami advised there was an editing function should one make an error. I used this editing tool to rectify my mistakes.

After using these programs whilst at home, I felt a little more comfortable navigating myself around the site. However, I was not able to navigate myself around Twitter as I do not understand its ways of working.

Reference

Koehler, M.J., & Mishra, P. (2009). What is technological pedagogical content knowledge? Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 9(1), pp. 60-70.

No comments:

Post a Comment